LTB brochures provide information about:
- Rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Processes at the LTB
You can read or print them here or pick up a copy at LTB offices and some ServiceOntario Centres.
If you need a brochure in print or alternate formats like large print or braille, contact us.
Brochures about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants
- Information for New Tenants
Information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, the role of the LTB and how to contact the LTB. Landlords must give this brochure to new tenants on or before the day the tenancy begins. PDF | HTML
- A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act
A summary of key topics covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. PDF | HTML
- 2017 Rent Increase Guideline (HTML)
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2017, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- 2016 Rent Increase Guideline (HTML)
An explanation of the rent increase guideline for 2016, and what it means for landlords and tenants.
- Automatic Rent Reductions and Tax Decreases (PDF)
Rules for the automatic reduction of a tenant's rent if there is a decrease in the property taxes for the rental unit.
- Information for Landlords and Tenants about Suite Meters (PDF)
Information about the rules regarding suite meters in residential rental units.
- Maintenance and Repairs (PDF)
Information about the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants relating to maintenance and repairs.
- Mobile Home Parks and Land Lease Communities (PDF)
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to this type of rental accommodation.
- Property Left Behind When a Tenant Moves Out (PDF)
Rules for disposing of property that a tenant has left behind.
- Rules for Care Homes
Rules in the Residential Tenancies Act that apply to care homes (also called rest homes or retirement homes).
- Offences under the Residential Tenancies Act (Ministry of Housing web page)
Lists offences under the RTA, how to report an offence and who to contact.
Brochures about processes at the LTB
For an overview of LTB processes, see the Application and Hearing Process.
- Amendments, Reviews and Appeals (PDF)
Describes the process of amending, reviewing or appealing an order of the LTB.
- Filing an Application (PDF)
Basic steps when filing an application with the LTB.
- How a Landlord Can End a Tenancy (PDF)
A summary of the rules for how a landlord can end a residential tenancy and evict a tenant.
- How a Tenant Can End a Tenancy (PDF)
A summary of the rules for how a tenant can end their tenancy, including lease renewals, and assigning and subletting.
- How to Serve an Application and Notice of Hearing (PDF)
- If a Tenant Does not Pay Rent (PDF)
The rules for ending a tenancy by a landlord if a tenant fails to pay rent.
- Illegal Lockouts (PDF)
Describes what a tenant can do if they have been improperly evicted.
- Important Information about Your Hearing (PDF)
Information on how to prepare for a hearing.
- Information about Applications for a Rent Increase Above the Guideline (PDF)
Describes how the LTB reviews these applications.
- Issues a Tenant can Raise at a Hearing about a Landlord’s Application for Non-payment of Rent (Form L1 or L9) (PDF)
Information about issues that a tenant can raise at the hearing of an application about rent arrears.
- Mediation by the Board (PDF)
Information about the mediation process at the LTB.
- Motion to Set Aside an Ex Parte Order (PDF)
How to request that an ex parte order be set aside.
- Rules for Representatives Involved in Board Applications (PDF)
Rules for parties and representatives at the LTB.
- Requesting Information from a File
Describes how to ask the LTB for information from an application file.
- Requesting a Summons
How to request and serve a summons: a document that requires a person to attend a hearing as a witness.