Forms and Filing
The SmartForm Application and SmartForm Response make the process easier by helping you accurately complete the forms on your computer. The advantages of using SmartForms are:
- SmartForms can be saved, printed and submitted electronically
- SmartForms can be processed more quickly
- SmartForms show you only the fields you need to fill out
- SmartForms only ask you the questions that are relevant to your application or response
Computer Requirements for Using SmartForm
PC users: Complete and submit your SmartForm using Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 8 or higher). You can download this free software.
Apple Mac users: Complete and submit the SmartForm using your Safari browser. Do not submit the form using Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro.
To complete your SmartForm
Step 2: Download the SmartForm by clicking on the Apply or Respond with SmartForm icon.
Apple Mac users: Download the form in your Safari browser. If you saved the form to your desktop, make sure to open it with Safari before submitting it - you can’t submit the application directly from Adobe Reader.
PC users: Download forms to your computer by right clicking on the PDF icon and selecting “Save link as” or “ Save target as” and then open the form on your computer.
Step 3: Answer all questions by clicking on the checkboxes and typing your answers in the text boxes. Save your form as you go along. You can save your form and come back to finish it another time. You can also print your form at any time by clicking the “Print” button.
Apple Mac users: If you have saved the form to your desktop to complete later, control (Ctrl) click on the Smart Form and open it in your Safari browser before submitting the form.
Step 4: When you are finished, click the “Submit to HRTO” button at the bottom of the form. If a required section is not complete, the SmartForm will prompt you to add the information before you continue. Once you click “Submit to HRTO”, a securely coded copy of your completed SmartForm will be sent to the HRTO and a letter will appear in your browser confirming that the HRTO has received your application or response. The letter will include a submission reference number (e.g. 2015-11-06-10-10-428500). Print and save a copy of this letter for your records.
Sending attachments (if applicable): Try to use the boxes on the form to provide the requested information. However, if you need to add attachments send a separate email with the attachments to HRTO.Registrar@ontario.ca. Include your submission reference number in the “Subject” line.
Other Ways to File
All forms, except for the application and response forms, must be:
- delivered to the other parties named in the application
- filed with the HRTO together with a completed Form 23, Statement of Delivery (PDF)
Forms are in PDF format (.pdf). If you need a form in print or alternate formats like large print, contact us.
- To view, print or email these forms, your computer needs Adobe Reader. You can download this free software from Adobe’s website.
- You cannot save the information you enter in these forms (unless you have Adobe Acrobat Pro).
- Save the downloaded form onto your computer and open that copy in Adobe Reader. Do not complete the forms in your browser. Some browsers will not allow you to complete your form.
- Most browsers will store (or "cache") documents on the hard drive of your computer so you can access them faster in the future. This feature may mean you are not accessing the most up-to-date version of HRTO forms. Clear your cache by holding down the “Ctrl” key and the “F5” key at the same time, or by using Ctrl+Shift+Delete.
Form 2: Response (PDF)
Form 3: Applicant's Reply to a Response (PDF)
Form 4A: Litigation Guardian on Behalf of a Minor (PDF)
Form 4B: Litigation Guardian: Mental Incapacity (PDF)
Form 5: Request to Intervene (PDF)
Form 6: Notice of Commission Intervention (with consent of applicant) (PDF)
Form 7: Application by the Ontario Human Rights Commission (PDF)
Form 8: Response to Commission Application (PDF)
Form 9: Request to Withdraw an Application (PDF)
Form 10: Request for an Order During Proceedings (PDF)
Form 11: Response to a Request for an Order (PDF)
Form 12: Request for a Tribunal Ordered Inquiry (PDF)
Form 13: Response to a Request for a Tribunal Ordered Inquiry (PDF)
Form 14: Request to Expedite a Proceeding (PDF)
Form 15: Response to a Request to Expedite a Proceeding (PDF)
Form 16: Request for Interim Remedy (PDF)
Form 17: Response to a Request for Interim Remedy (PDF)
Form 18: Application for Contravention of Settlement (PDF)
Form 19: Response to an Application for Contravention of Settlement (PDF)
Form 20: Request for Reconsideration (PDF)
Form 21: Response to a Request for Reconsideration (PDF)
Form 22: Application for a Stated Case (PDF)
Form 23: Statement of Delivery (PDF)
Form 24: Summons to Witness (sample only)
Form 25: Confirmation of Settlement (PDF)
Form 26: Request for Summary Hearing (PDF)
Form 27: Application on Behalf of Another Person (PDF)
Form 28: Notice of Intervention by Bargaining Agent (PDF)
Confidentiality Agreement (PDF)
Mediation/Adjudication Agreement (PDF)
You can file forms with the HRTO in the following ways:
655 Bay St. 14th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2A3
Tribunal of Ontario
655 Bay St. 14th Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2A3
If you require a form for a file that was opened with the Ontario Human Rights Commission before June 30, 2008 and was later transferred to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, please call 416-326-1312 or email: HRTO.Registrar-Transition@ontario.ca