Mandate, Mission, Values
Social Justice Tribunals Ontario (SJTO) is a cluster of eight adjudicative tribunals with a mandate to resolve applications and appeals brought under a number of statutes relating to child and family services oversight, youth justice, human rights, residential tenancies, income support, compensation for victims of violent crime, and special education.
SJTO and our constituent tribunals will:
- provide fair, effective, timely and accessible resolution of legal issues related to the social justice statutes that we administer,
- promote consistency in the application of the legislation while remaining responsive to differing cases, party needs and to an evolving understanding of the law,
- be leaders in the administrative justice community.
The core values inform how the SJTO and its constituent tribunals approach their mandate. They set the foundation for rules and policies, how those rules and policies will be applied, and how we deliver service to the public. The core values are:
- We will strive for full and informed participation of parties, whether or not they have legal representation.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusiveness.
- We will provide resolution processes that are proportionate and appropriate to the issues in each case.
Fairness and Independence
- SJTO and its tribunals must be, and be seen to be, impartial and independent in our decision making functions.
- Our decisions will be based on the evidence and the law, and will be supported by clear, concise and coherent reasons.
Timeliness and Transparency
- We are committed to providing timely resolution services and decisions.
- Our processes, procedures and policies will be clear, understandable and consistently applied.
Professionalism and Public Service
- We are committed to being an organization where people want to work and feel inspired to contribute and innovate.
- Members and staff will exemplify the highest standards of public service, integrity and professionalism.
- We will be responsive to stakeholder needs by engaging in meaningful outreach and consultation.
Learn More:The SJTO Code of Conduct
- Provides guidance to all SJTO members (adjudicators) on appropriate conduct.
- Sets out how SJTO ensures that all members (adjudicators) are aware of the conflict of interest guidelines and the code of conduct.
- Ensures that the private interests of SJTO staff and members are not in conflict with their public service responsibilities.