March 31, 2012
Disponible en français
Social Justice Tribunals Ontario is a cluster of seven adjudicative tribunals
designated under the Adjudicative Tribunals Accountability, Governance, and
Appointments Act, 2009.
Service excellence is a priority for Social Justice Tribunals Ontario. We will
endeavour to provide fair, effective, timely and accessible dispute resolution that
reflects the diverse nature of the work we do and the diverse communities we
Social Justice Tribunals Ontario (SJTO) and its constituent tribunals will promote
consistency in the application of processes while remaining responsive to diverse
communities and their differing cases and party needs.
Effective April 1, 2012, a party before one of SJTO's tribunals, whose application
has been accepted for processing, can expect that the following time standards
will be met, 80% of the time.
Child and Family Services Review Board
- Emergency Secure Treatment applications will be scheduled for a hearing within four calendar days.
- Section 68 applications will be scheduled for a pre-hearing within 14 calendar days.
- Section 61 and 144 applications will be scheduled within 20 calendar days after the application has been deemed eligible.
- All other applications will be scheduled for a hearing within 20 calendar days after receipt of the application.
- Decisions for Emergency Secure Treatment applications will be issued at the conclusion of the hearing. Reasons for the decision will be issued within 10 calendar days.
- Decisions or Orders for all other applications will be issued within 10 calendar days after the hearing has been completed.
Custody Review Board
- Review will begin by a telephone call within 24 hours of the receipt of the application.
- Recommendations for all applications will be issued within 30 calendar days.
Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- The first hearing date offered to parties will be scheduled to take place within 180 calendar days from the date the application is ready to proceed to hearing.
- The first mediation date offered to parties will be scheduled to take place within 150 calendar days from the date the parties agree to mediation.
- Decisions for hearings which take three days or less will be issued within 90 calendar days.
- Decisions for hearings which take longer than three days will be issued within 180 calendar days.
Landlord and Tenant Board
- All applications, except those dealing with an above guideline increase (AGIs and A4s), will have a hearing scheduled within 30 calendar days.
- Orders for all applications, except those dealing with an above guideline increase (AGIs) and an application to vary the amount of the reduction (A4s) will be issued within seven calendar days.
Ontario Special Education Tribunals (English and French)
- All applications will be scheduled for mediation or a hearing within 120 calendar days.
- Decisions will be issued within 90 calendar days
Social Benefits Tribunal
- Appeals will be scheduled with a notice of hearing sent out no later than 30 calendar days after receipt of the appeal that sets a hearing date 180 calendar days after the notice of hearing.
- Decisions will be issued within 30 calendar days.
Ontario Government Common Service Standards
SJTO is also committed to providing service for administrative processes that
meet the Ontario Government Common Service Standards, which are available
Our service standards were introduced on April 1, 2012. We will provide results
to the public on an annual basis that will measure how well we are meeting our