Brochure: Complaints against a Children's Aid Society for Services Sought or Received
s. 68 of the Child and Family Services Act

Is this for me?

If you have sought or received services from a Children's Aid Society and have concerns about these services, you may have a right to complain to the Child and Family Services Review Board (CFSRB) for one of these reasons:

How to apply

  1. Call the CFSRB at 1 888-728-8823 (toll-free) or 416-327-4673 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
    Visit and search for the form: "Application Regarding a Complaint about Services Sought or Received from a Children's Aid Society".

  2. Fill out the form.
    In your application, explain your problem clearly and include all of the important incidents, dates and details so that those reviewing your complaint will understand your concerns. If you need help filling out the form, call the CFSRB and a case coordinator will help you. Note that a case coordinator cannot give you legal advice or tell you what words to use in your application.

  3. Send us your completed form by fax to: 416-327-0558

Process and Timelines

Once you file your application, the CFSRB will:

If your application is eligible, the CFSRB will:

Most applications that come to the CFSRB are settled through mediation. If your application is not resolved at mediation, the CFSRB will hold a hearing in person, in writing, by phone or video conference. At the hearing, the CFSRB can make certain decisions, including:

The CFSRB has 30 days after the hearing to give you its decision, with written reasons.

The Society's internal complaints review process and the
Child Family Services Review Board process

The Society has its own internal complaint review process. It is done by an Internal Complaints Review Panel (ICRP).

You do not need to have been through the Society's complaint process before complaining to the CFSRB. You may choose to come directly to the CFSRB.

If you have complained to the Society, you can still complain to the CFSRB, even if the Society's process is still underway.

If you complained to the Society and the review process has been completed, you can ask the CFSRB to review the decision made by the ICRP.

However, if you want to complain about inaccuracies in the Society's file or record you must go first through the ICRP process before bringing an application to the CFSRB about those inaccuracies. Once the ICRP process is completed and a decision is made and you are not satisfied with the decision or process followed at the ICRP, you may apply to the CFSRB about those inaccuracies.

If you have any questions, call the CFSRB at: 416-327-4673, 1 888-728-8823
Or visit our website at: