FAQs and Info Sheets

FAQs | Info Sheets

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

These are some of the questions we’re asked most often. For answers to other questions, see the Application and Hearing Process.

Are there any other programs that provide money to victims of crime?

The Victim Quick Response Program provides eligible victims with emergency funds for certain expenses immediately following a violent crime. Applications must be made within 45 days of the crime (or 90 days for counselling expenses). Tel. GTA: 416-314-2447 or toll-free: 1-888-579-2888

The Financial Assistance for Families of Homicide Victims program provides up to $10,000 per homicide to eligible parents and spouses/common-law partners of homicide victims. Tel. GTA: 416-212-9164 or toll free: 1-855-467-4344.

Is there a time limit for filing an application?

There is no time limit for applications related to a sexual or domestic assault. For all other types of violent crime, you must apply for compensation within 2 years of the date of the incident. We can extend the 2-year period if there is a good reason, but you will have to request an extension and explain the reasons for the delay on the application form.

Do I need a lawyer to apply?

CICB does not expect you to have a legal representative at a hearing, but you can have one if you want. A legal representative could be a lawyer or paralegal. If you have a legal representative, we will communicate only with that person and not with you.

Will the person who committed the crime find out about my application?

The person you say is responsible for the violent crime is called the "alleged offender". If a court has found that person guilty of the crime he or she is called the "offender".

The alleged offender is entitled to participate in a CICB hearing. We will send them a copy of your application but we’ll remove your phone number, address and information about your injuries. They will have the chance to submit evidence, speak at the hearing, receive a copy of the decision and question you. If the alleged offender chooses to participate in the hearing, they will not be in the same room as you. They will be on the phone or video conference. We will tell you in advance if an alleged offender will participate in the hearing process.

If you have concerns about an alleged offender being notified or receiving a copy of your application, you must tell us during the application process.

Do I have to attend a hearing?

If your claim can be assessed based on written evidence alone, you won't need to attend a hearing. One of our adjudicators will make a decision based on the information in the file. This is called a documentary hearing. If an oral hearing is needed, you must be present. During an oral hearing, the adjudicators will ask questions about the incident, injuries and associated costs.

For more information about hearings, see the Application and Hearing Process.

Where are hearings held?

We hold hearings in 21 locations across Ontario: Barrie, Belleville, Cornwall, Hamilton, Kenora, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Moosonee, North Bay, Orillia, Ottawa, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Sioux Lookout, St. Catharines, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Toronto and Windsor.

For more information about hearings, see the Application and Hearing Process.

What if I move or change my phone number after I file my application?

If you move or change your phone number, call us or fill out the Notice of Change of Address and submit it to the CICB as soon as possible. If we can’t reach you by phone or mail, your application may be dismissed.

If I apply to the CICB, can I still sue the person who committed the crime?

You can still sue the offender or alleged offender a civil action. However, if you are successful in a civil action, you’ll have to pay back any compensation you’ve received from us.

Can I receive compensation before my hearing is held?

You can ask for money before your hearing for income support, funeral expenses and/or medical/treatment expenses. This is called an interim award. We only make interim awards if you can show that you need the money urgently before your hearing. We may need to see evidence, such as police and/or medical records, which would lead us to conclude that an award will likely be made at the time of the hearing. To apply for an interim award, contact us.

What happens if I am also receiving benefits from Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW)?

A CICB award may impact your ODSP or OW benefits. We recommend that you contact your ODSP/OW caseworker for more information. For more information, see the Information Sheet: CICB Awards, Ontario Disability Support Program and Ontario Works.

What if I need more treatment after my hearing?

If your circumstances change after a hearing, we can vary an award. A variation can only be granted if an award was made at the original hearing. For more information, see the Information Sheet: Asking to Vary an Order for Compensation.

Information Sheets