What We Do
The Child and Family Services Review Board (CFSRB) conducts reviews and hearings on a number of matters that affect children, youth and families in Ontario.
Under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017, the CFSRB can review:
- A children's aid society's decision to remove a child in expended society care from a foster home where the child has lived continuously for two or more years (section 109)
- Certain complaints related to services provided by children's aid societies (sections 119 and 120)
- Residential placements of children in care (section 66)
- Emergency admission of a child to a secure treatment program (section 171)
- Decisions to refuse an adoption of a particular child, to impose a term or condition on an adoption, or to remove a child from an adoption placement (section 192)
Under the Education Act, the CFSRB can hear appeals about the expulsion of students by school boards.
Under the Intercountry Adoption Act, the CFSRB can review:
- A Director's refusal to approve a person as eligible to adopt from outside of Canada
- Conditions attached to Director's approval to adopt from outside Canada
The CFRSB holds mediations and hearings throughout the province. CFSRB members have diverse backgrounds in the fields of law, social services, mental health and education.
- Fairness and independence
- Professionalism and public service
The CFRSB's Rules and practice directions apply to its proceedings.
When should I contact the CFSRB?
Contact the CFSRB if you want to:
- Ask for a review of a written notice proposing to remove a child in extended society care (Crown ward) from your foster home
- Complain about services of a children's aid society
- Ask for a review of your residential placement (a foster home, group home, or treatment home)
- Ask for a review of a written notice to refuse your adoption application
- Ask for a review of a written notice to remove a child who has been placed with you for adoption
- Ask for a review of an admission to an emergency secure treatment program
- Appeal a school board decision to expel a pupil